Monday, March 23, 2015

Confession #9: CoverGirl

Easy, Breezy, Beautiful...

CoverGirl Cosmetics was the very first brand that I tried when I asked my mom in seventh grade if I could start wearing makeup. She led me to the aisle in Walmart to find CoverGirl. It essentially the only brand I bought from for about the next 3-4 years.  I then ventured out when an Ulta Store showed up in Macon. Walking in there was makeup heaven and I could not ignore that there was in fact more in the world than CoverGirl.  Even though I do not buy as many products from this brand as I used to, CoverGirl will always be on my radar for good quality makeup and it will always hold a place in my heart as my first makeup experience.


I always remember reading my Seventeen Magazine and seeing CoverGirl's great print advertisements, but now as we have moved into the digital realm, how has CoverGirl held up with their social media marketing? The grade I would give them...A-. Sure, they're not perfect, of course, but I think they do a great job of keeping up with events going on in the world (or the US at least) and using their products to show customers how they can be used seasonally. For instance, this picture posted on their Instagram account uses their nail polishes in a bracket, like brackets for March Madness basketball.
I think CoverGirl has always done a great job with, well, their cover girls.  The essence of the brand has always been that there are models or celebrities to represent the brand and different celebs are added periodically to enhance CoverGirl's image. In more recent years, women such as Pink, Katy Perry, Ellen Degeneres, Sofia Vergara, Rihanna, Taylor Swift and Queen Latifah have represented the brand. Queen Latifah is the face of their Queen Collection, a line of their cosmetics more catered to women of color. By creating contracts with these women to become part of the CoverGirl brand, using their own fame to promote CoverGirl through CoverGirl's social media is a big plus for them. Througout the CoverGirl Twitter and Instagram accounts, their spokeswomen are mentioned, retweeted, pictured, and celebrated. This connection between brand and celebrity through social media reinforces their images in print and television advertising by stating that these women are cared about by CoverGirl, not just here because they have a pretty face and we have a contract. I also like that CoverGirl has many diverse, empowering women as their spokeswomen. These women are role models for many young women, and seeing their faces wearing CoverGirl makeup is definitely a reason girls will want to use CoverGirl's makeup when they want to start wearing any at all. 
One interesting thing I find about CoverGirl is that via their website, they link their Vine account as well as their Tumblr website. And not only that they have a Tumblr website, but that it is formatted differently than a standard blog, meaning they have put time and effort into it. Vine is not too commonly used by makeup companies, because the 6 second limit for a vine is almost too short to show tutorials using products, but I think CoverGirl does a good job of using it as a supplement to their Twitter and Instagram accounts. They do not produce many 6 second clips, but the ones that they do produce help chance up the pace when they are then shared via CoverGirl's Twitter account. Also, via their Instagram, they promoted their Snapchat account. I follow their Snapchat account, and while they do not use this platform that often, they might begin to soon and since Snapchat has started Snapcash, it is becoming more able to be used as a marketing tool where customers can purchase directly from the app.  (Although, Snapcash isn't really taking off, even sending snippets of new products from within corporate via Snapchat allows followers to think they're the best of the best because they're getting an inside view on CoverGirl) I think it's smart that they have advertised the account via other social media, but I think to really gain a user base on Snapchat they will need to utilize it's features and post more often.


Products I own by CoverGirl Cosmetics (prices based on Ulta.com):

Clump Crusher Mascara, $7.99
Eye Enhancers 3 Kit Shadows, $4.99
Ink It! Perfect Point Plus Eyeliner, $7.49
Bombshell Volume Mascara, $11.99
TruMagic Skin Perfector, $9.99
CG Smoothers SPF 15 Tinted Moisture, $7.99
Flamed Out Mascara, $6.99
Flamed Out Shadow Pots, $4.99
Glowing Nights Glosstinis Nail Polish, $1.89

Products I have previously owned by CoverGirl Cosmetics (prices based on Ulta.com):

LashBlast Volume Mascara, $8.99
Perfect Point Plus Eyeliner, $5.99
Outlast Lip Stain, $8.99
Simply Powder Foundation, $10.99
Eye Enhancers 4 Kit Shadows, $5.99
Professional All-In-One Curved Brush Mascara, $5.99
Professional Natural Lash Mascara, $5.99
CG Smoothers Concealer, $7.99
CG Smoothers Pressed Powder, $7.99
LashBlast 24 Hour Mascara, $8.99
Instant Cheekbones Contouring Blush, $6.99
Liquiline Blast Eyeliner, $7.99
Classic Color Blush, $6.49
Clean Makeup (Foundation), Oily Skin, $6.99
Clean Pressed Powder, Oily Skin, $6.99

 I have owned many, many more products from CoverGirl, but they are discontinued.


Website: http://www.covergirl.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/covergirl
Instagram: https://instagram.com/covergirl/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/covergirl
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CoverGirl
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/covergirlxo/
Google+: https://plus.google.com/+covergirl/about
Tumblr: http://covergirl.tumblr.com/ 
Vine: https://vine.co/u/907771872836456448
Snapchat: username: covergirlxo

1 comment:

  1. I was especially intrigued by this article because for my project, I looked at Sephora and Ulta's social media presences! It takes a lot of time and energy for make-up brands, such as CoverGirl, to have great social media pages but that it expected for such aesthetic brands. I also agree that CoverGirl does a great job picking their models and spokespeople--with their diversity, there is someone everyone can look up to!

    ReplyDelete